What is pickleball?
Pickleball is one of the fastest-growing sports in the country and for good reason. It is easy to get started, doesn't require expensive gear (although you can spend a lot), and is a lot of fun. I grew up playing tennis and still love the sport. When I heard about pickleball I called it "lazy tennis." I called it this because you play on a court like tennis but it is much smaller. You play with paddles and use a plastic ball. I played it once and dismissed it as a lame sport. A few years passed, and some neighbors asked me to come to play. I had just moved to the area and wanted to get to know more people, so off I went. Games didn't last long like they do in tennis. We also switched partners frequently. Everyone was laughing almost constantly. I saw many ohhh and awww moments as great points happened. I was having a lot of fun! Three years have gone by now, and I still play multiple times a week. If you've never played, I encourage you to find a court nearby give it a shot. The pickleball community is extremely welcoming. Here is an app to help find courts and meet some players.
Hitting a forehand ground stroke
One of the aspects I love about the game is the progression you see in yourself as you work on different shots and skills. This has kept me hungry to get on the courts time and time again. Tournaments come up and it is fun to go test what I have learned. I currently hold a 5.101 ranking and want to keep getting better. Pickleball has taught me to always keep improving on things.
Chasing down a backhand at the Midnight Heist Tournament
- If you get into the game you'll find that there are many different companies for pickleball gear. I've used quite a few and, my favorite is Selkirk. I've used their S2, Invikta, Epic, and currently, the Mach6 paddle. I love the Mach6 because of the long handle. I use a two-handed backhand so this paddle is perfect for me. Selkirk has always treated me well when I needed to return a paddle. Most of the time I'm playing in the heat and their shirts and hats are great for that. I can't recommend their gear enough.
Selkirk Mach6 Hybrid is my paddle of choice
- 04/09/2022 Red Rock - Men's Doubles 5.0
- 02/04/2022 Rock n' Roll Triples - Men's Doubles 5.0
- 11/19/2021 Utah State Round Robin Championships - Men's Doubles 5.0
- 07/30/2021 Midnight Heist - Men's Doubles 5.0
- 05/11/2021 PLS Fundraiser Tournament - Men's Doubles 5.0
- 04/21/2021 Paint Your Courts Round Robin Fundraising Tournament - Men's Doubles 4.5
- 10/21/2020 PLS Fundraiser Tournament - Men's Doubles 5.0
- 10/06/2020 Fall Brawl - Men's Doubles 5.0
- 07/31/2020 Midnight Pickleball Heist - 5.0
- 02/05/2020 Rock n Roll Triples Pickleball Tournament - Men's Doubles 4.5
- 10/08/2019 Fall Brawl - Men's Doubles 4.5
- 09/24/2019 Las Vegas Open - Men's Doubles 4.5
- 02/06/2019 Rock n Roll Triples Pickleball Tournament - Men's Doubles 4.5
- 11/14/2018 Utah State Round Robin Championships - Mixed Doubles 4.5
- 09/27/2018 Las Vegas Open - Men's Doubles 4.5